Thursday, August 21, 2008

Who's Artaxerxes??

I was going to write an entry about my visit with my sister today... but I've just spent a ton of time on a timeline for scripture study tomorrow morning (it's my turn to lead) to help us in getting thru Ezra...so I'm going to share it instead. (Since it's soo late.) (I'll share my photos tomorrow.)

There is a mystery person in the timeline... I can't find out who he really is from looking at the bible or the study guide... he's the 521 Artaxerxes. Yes, I know you're either, a) totally up on bible history and are going to tell me all about him, or, b) going to roll your eyeballs and move on to the next blog.


Bible Timeline, Persian Kings Period

586 (587) Babylon invasion, FALL OF JERUSALEM, TEMPLE Destroyed -Babylon kings: Evil-merodach, Neriglissar, Belshazzar (co-regent with Nabonidus)

(559-530 Persian King, Cyrus II)

538 Babylon surrenders to Persian King Cyrus

537 Daniel prospers under King Cyrus, Daniel 6:28 (About this time Cyrus writes a decree allowing Jews to return to Jerusalem [Ezra 1], believes prophesy made by Isaiah [Isa 44:28] that he is to let the Jews return and build a temple for the Lord.)

537 First exiles return from Captivity.

535 Altar and Foundation of the TEMPLE begun

Sheshbazzar – governor of Judah (appointed by Cyrus, Ezra 5:14)

Zerubbabel – governor of Judah (identified in Haggai 2:2, Ezra 3:8), ancestor of Jesus Christ.

Jeshua – Levitical High Priest, worked with Zerubbabel to build temple

Samaritans want to help in rebuilding temple, cause trouble when Jews say no. Tempe construction is stopped for 15-17 years.

530-522 Persian King Cambyses

522-486 BC Persian King Darius I

Daniel prays for the temple project to go forward (Dan 9:17-19). The Lord raises up two prophets (Zechariah & Haggai) who inspire the people to complete the temple despite persecution.

521 Artaxerxes (Ezra 4:1) (Who the heck is this guy??)

520 Prophet Zechariah

520 Prophet Haggai

520 Rebuilding of Temple Resumed King Darius recognizes the role of God in the affairs of men.

Also, the decrees of one king, in this case Cyrus, were often honored by his successors.

The complaints of the Samaritans are rejected. (Ezra 6)

516 (515?) Temple Finished and Dedicated Exactly 70 years after it was destroyed, as prophesied

486-465 Persian King Xerxes I (Ahasuerus)

473 Ester is Queen of Persia

465-425 Persian King Artaxerxes (Ezra 7:1)

458 Second exile group returns to Jerusalem, 90 years since 1st group

Ezra is mentioned in this return. He reorganizes temple services at Jerusalem.

445 Third exile group returns

445 Nehemiah (royal cupbearer in the Persian court) is named governor of Judah and is energetic in restoring Jerusalem.

440 Book of Ezra written

433 Nehemiah’s second mission to Jerusalem.

Prophet Malachi

430 Book of Nehemiah written

430 Book of Malachi written

OLD TESTAMENT HISTORY ENDS WITH THE BOOK OF Malachi

Facts from Bible Dictionary Chronology and OT Study Guide

8 comments:

Wendster said...

King Darius? So THAT'S where the sailor moon people got Darius' name.

Fun.

(Are we studying our Persian time line?)

Hey ... I had SUCH a good time with you yesterday. Thank you for buying me all of those colors of thread and those fabulous fabrics. I am SO looking forward to sewing with them.

Guess what? When I went to my staff meeting at the PSI office and checked in my Basic for Kid's office, I found ALL OF THIS upholstery fabric in my office. Piles and piles of it and VERY NICE. I spoke to the office manager: Why is this in my office? Is it being donated to me?
Yes. You can have it all if you want it. We used it for an event but we don't need it anymore. AWESOME!
So happy to have it.
I can cover chairs, make canopies, .... cover my entire lawn.

I got a LOT of fabric. Creams, browns, a little burgundy, a little hunter green, and a little goldish beige. And nice embossing like designs that are super understated.

I might even experiment with recovering my sofa in the front room. Making zip covers for them.

What's the longest zipper they sell? I need one that's about four feet long.

Wendster said...

Could my comment have been longer?

Oh .... don't challenge me.

lol

Wendster said...

ooh ooh ooh! Stop by my blog today! You've gotta see my Susie Q award. You've got to visit her blog. You will FALL IN LOVE with her.

She's an awesome photographer and a really REALLY nice person. I've been visiting her for more than a year now and HIGHLY recommend her.

NariceatL4 said...

I had a good time too--and Tristan was pretty well-behaved. And, Tristan has some truly original ideas-fun to listen to.

I'm looking for Susie Q right now.

NariceatL4 said...

Ahem...
Artaxerxes, as mentioned in Ezra 4:1 is really Smerdis (!), who pretended to be Cambyses brother and usurped the thrown for 7 months.
Thank you alert contributor and scripture accuracy police Justin!!! (Mystery solved)

NariceatL4 said...

Wendy, I can see you whipping out your sewing machine now!

NariceatL4 said...

Long zippers can be found at upholstery places... they sell them by the foot and you add the zipper pull yourself.

NariceatL4 said...

Did you know how to pronounce Darius?? If you listen to president Monson, he's got it right. The accent is on the 'i' and it's a long i. (News to me)