Sunday, August 10, 2008

That's When I'll Be Happy


We heard some great talks in church today! (I love to go to church—we have a great ward family… and, I just love to go to church!) The Bartschis were the speakers today, and their talks were well-crafted and super! Here is part of ~S. Bartschi’s talk:

“When I was in college, I went to a Thursday afternoon fireside and heard a talk that hit me hard and really woke me up. The speaker was Joy Basso, and she talked about enjoying the here and now. It went like this:

“When you’re 15, all you can think about is how much you want to be 16 so you can drive a car. You know you’ll be happy when you can drive—15 is terrible because you can’t drive!

“When you’re 16 you are so happy because finally you can drive. You’re happy for about 2 weeks. Then you realize you can’t be happy because you’re still in High School, and you hate High School. It would be much better if you were out of High School, and had a job and were making money. That’s when you’ll really be happy.

“When you’re 18 and working, you see your friends who are getting married, and having kids. You realize you’re lonely—you aren’t happy because you’re not married, and you don’t have a kid.

“So, you get married and have kids—and you realize, kids are …NOT what you expected, and you can’t wait for them to grow up and move out—then you’ll be happy!

“When the kids have graduated and moved out, you realize you are still not happy because you still have to go to work, and you hate your job—you’ll be happy when you can retire!

“It takes you a few extra years before you can afford to retire. By then, your body aches, you can hardly walk, and you can’t enjoy your retirement… and you wish… you wish you were 15!”

What a great talk! A super reminder to count your blessings now, enjoy what you have now—because you can’t go back.

It’s like that saying: “Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present.”

17 comments:

Wendster said...

But when I paint my toe nails ... THEN ... THEN I AM HAPPY.

ha.

Wendster said...

That's a gift to EVERYONE around me. Everyone likes to look at my lovely painted toenails. Yes they do. You don't know! Is there AIR!?!??! YOU DON'T KNOW!!!!!

But if you paint your toe nails you can breathe in any atmosphere.

Yes you can.

YOU DON'T KNOW.

IT'S ANOTHER PLANET!

DON'T OPEN THE DOOR!

PAINT YOUR TOE NAILS!!!

It's the only way to save the galaxy, for heaven's sake.

Wendster said...

What am I smoking today?

Wendster said...

And still . ... I am no where NEAR to the number of fabulous comments you left on MY blog.

Wendster said...

Now I am going to have to do some research ... to post on your blog.

It will probably have to be research on happiness and what steaming process brings that to the surface.

Ummmmmmmmmmmm .... I'm thinking steam me at 67 degrees ... that's when I am happy. Nice cool weather makes me happy.

You too, huh?

Wendster said...

Yes it does.

Wendster said...

YOU DON'T KNOW.

Wendster said...

IS IT COOL OUTSIDE?

Wendster said...

IS IT FALL YET?

YOU DON'T KNOW.

Wendster said...

HEY ... I'M UP TO 10 COMMENTS. I CAN STOP NOW.

Wendster said...

EXCEPT I STILL HAVEN'T POSTED ANY RESEARCH.

Wendster said...

OK. The Definitive answer on happiness.

No one knows better than THIS guy:

"Be who you are and say what you feel because the people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind."

Dr. Seuss"

Wendster said...

...

...

...

.. . .. ahhhhhhhhhhhh????????

Good, huh?

Wendster said...

I love you.

Bet that makes you happy TOO. I know it makes ME happy.

NariceatL4 said...

Yes, that makes me happy-- But so does getting a pedicure... let's go

NariceatL4 said...

So we can breathe... and save the galaxy!

dawn altier said...

Tonight, this entry made me happy. Good reminder to appreciate the present. p.s. I love the photos you add to your blog- and the layout- very cool.