

The Bowers Museum is just ending it's Terra cotta Warriors show... and there were a lot of peop
le, hundreds, trying to get in. (Which meant it was sold out by the time we got to the window,
unless one bought a membership, which would automatically get 2 people in for the next group/tour
time).My daughter, A~, and I ended up staying. My other daughter, D~, and her two friends opted out...(and went out to eat instead).
The photos show the exhibit being delivered and uncrated, as well as the original dig site (now a museum).
As you probably know, the Terracotta Warriors were discovered in March 1974 by local farmers and Chinese peasants, drilling a water well. This discovery prompted archaeologists to investigate. The Terracotta Army is a form of funerary art buried with the Emperor of Qin (Qin Shi Huang) in 209-210 BC (his reign over Qin was from 247 BC to 221 BC and unified China from 221 BC to the end of his life in 210 BC). Their purpose was to help rule another empire with Shi Huang Di in the afterlife. In addition to the warriors, an entire man-made necropolis for the emperor has been excavated. (Some call it the eighth wonder of the world.)
A few of the thousands of clay warriors and horses (and birds) unearthed from one of the pits are on display at the Bowers Museum. All of them are life-like, with perfect details like hair-lines, and different facial expressions. Amazing stuff.
While we were in the long waiting line, a 'warrior' came out and put on a little dance to help make the wait less tedious. (We members of the captive audience did get a kick out of it.) (As you can see... somehow one video came out sideways--defying gravity--and I can't get it righted!)

3 comments:
Um-Er...it's difficult typing this lying on my side...love the photos, especially the last one...except that I spilled my coffee while I was looking at it.
http://anecdotes.typepad.coom
That's my current home...had to sign in with my old bloggerbooger address.
I love the videos!!! AND the name swampwitch!
Wow, interesting sight! I like the warriors!
Post a Comment