Thursday, December 4, 2008

Einsteins and Monarchs



Today the piano teacher showed my kindergarten class a "Little Einsteins" video about monarch caterpillars and butterflies. I was really impressed! The students heard great music (the monarch caterpillars' 'song' was Beethoven's 9th) and learned great vocabulary like allegro, adagio, migrate, monarch.

After the little einsteins helped a lost caterpillar get to his magical tree--where the caterpillar got to change into its 'new clothes' (some of my students had never seen a caterpillar change into a butterfly), a 'mail delivery' butterfly issued invitations to the big family butterfly party. When one of the invitations was issued to the students to come along too--my students were genuinely excited: Marcos rubbed his hands together in glee, and giggle, "we get to come too!"

Did you know that monarchs east of the rockies migrate 2500 miles to the Oyamel fir trees of Mexico? We all climbed into the einsteins ... rocket/space ship... for the trip down to Mexico. The whole thing was way cool. Way cool.

2 comments:

NariceatL4 said...

I've NEVER seen a monarch caterpillar..have you?

Wendster said...

No ... I haven't seen a monarch caterpillar .... but I've seen those big machines called "caterpillars" ... like those giant hoe things and stuff.
Yup.
That's what I have seen.