Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Three Blessings

I had three blessings in a row and wanted to share them today.

Blessing#1 – a small blessing. You know how the scriptures say to pray always, and not only that, but to pray over “your flocks and your fields” and over big things and small. Well, last night I took our dog Toby for a walk, late. Since it was soo late, I knew that he would not have to do his ‘duty’ because --- he just would have done that already (it’s only sensible!), so I didn’t bring a bag. But no, half a mile into the walk he went right in someone’s yard. I do not believe in leaving a surprise present like that in people’s yards. It was too late to knock on a door and ask for a bag, so I said a little prayer: “Lord, let me find some sort of trash so that I can take care of this,” and started walking. Four doors down there was a Ziplock baggie on the grass! (And there’s never trash in our neighborhood-we’ve got clean streets and yards.) And the baggie wasn’t gross, and it was big enough for the job. I just felt thankful for such a quick answer to prayer (and that I didn’t have to drive back later and look for that pile). This may seem silly to some, but I believe it was an answer to prayer and a nice little blessing.

Blessing #2 – a big blessing. As many of you may know, California had an earthquake today. When it happened, it was reported as a magnitude of 5.8—and it felt like it! We were fairly close to the epicenter, so there was a huge jolt, and then a lot of rolling for at least 30 seconds. My husband and I were both sitting in the dining room at the time (he was typing an Emergency Preparedness flier even!) and just waited it out in our chairs—wondering how bad it was going to get—you never know if its going to be “THE BIG ONE.” I felt very thankful that the quake wasn’t bigger, that there were no reports of anyone being hurt, and that our property is still in tact.
Question: What were you doing when the quake hit?

Blessing #3 – a medium blessing. My daughter and I were going to go to Disneyland this morning (we have season passes, which allows us to avoid long lines, get in a nice walk, and come and go as we please). We were kind of slow to get out of the house this morning, so we ended up staying home. On the news after the quake it showed all of the people being evacuated out of the stores and rides at…. Yep… Disneyland! The rides were shut down for 2 hours! There were a lot of unhappy people—and we weren’t there in that mess! I consider that a blessing also!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi narice ~
thanks for the email and for posting the dollar and my name for winning the quote game. i love that movie and laugh a lot everytime we see it again.

awesome about the blessing of the baggy. perfect timing!

night night, beany :)

Wendster said...

Another movie line:

Well that was DEEES GUST ING!

(Emperor's New Groove)

But I concur. Blessing!

And that WAS some earthquake.