Yesterday I had a formal observation by the assistant principal. Being a tenured teacher I have an observation every three years. (And of course, the administrators are always walking thru and stopping by to get a feel for everyone's teaching throughout the school.)Well, I decided to do my lesson on a high-interest topic: ladybugs. I also decided I would buy a cup of ladybugs from the nursery (1,500 ladybugs--smallest size) and was so excited when my husband found the nearest place to buy them--I went right out and bought them and then stashed them in the refridgerator. On the morning of my observation I transferred them to a plastic terrarium, with leaves full of aphids that I had gathered, covered it with netting, and then snapped on the lid and then hid the whole thing in a paper grocery sack so the students could guess what was in side...
Right after recess my administrator comes in, I start the lesson, I go and get the bag.... and there's no need to guess what's in the bag! The netting holes were too big, and the vents on the lid were also large-ish, so ladybugs were crawling everywhere! Talk about high interest!
As ladybugs were crawling up my arm, and everyone else wanted ladybugs to crawl up their arms, I calmly explained that if ladybugs got on them they would slowly walk outside--as I was going to do now-- and shake, shake, shake until the ladybugs flew away.
We then took turns by rows observing the activity in and on the terrarium before I took it outside, and then continued on with the lesson--which was about the writing process, with the ladybugs, of course, being our topic.
The administrator actually liked the lesson, and was amazed at how well kindergartners can write, and had nothing bad to say about the gazillion-ladybug-near-fiasco. (Whew!)

I dreamt about ladybugs all night. (slow-mo ladybug flight)
And still more... (remembering this one from Sesame street)

11 comments:
And do you have a water heater now?
What a great object lesson! wow! Bet the kids were in heaven having all of those lady bugs crawl up their arms. Terrific. Dang netting. who knew? And great that you had the foresight to put in all of those ladybug treats: aphids! wow.
Glad your administrator liked the lesson. And why wouldn't they? All administrators like fabulous lessons by Mrs. A.
and yes ... I do have tenants!
And yes, I can explain how to make your blog private now that I have figured it out. It's under settings: permission. You enter in the e mail addresses of the people you want to be able to see your blog. Your blog sends them an invitation which they respond to, and ba da bing they are in.
gotta go to bed! 11:59 p.m.
Hey ... I just now posted on your dandelion post and don't know if you will see my comment way down there ... so here it is up here:
Hey ... how did I miss this post?
Do you know what you are amazing at?
You throw the BEST parties ... especially when we get to the game part of the evening. You are SO super at getting people to join in to the games and feel like they are ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to the success of the evening. My kids can't resist going to your house when you are hosting a get together. Me either! I love love love going to your house. Good food, good games, great little video tidbits sometimes. You really know how to throw a party.
Somebody would want to read these party tips of yours in a book. Not so much about "themes" ... but about how to get people included in games ... how to think up things to do that are irresistable to people who usually DONT' participate .. . but your magic is knowing how to get people to participate. And you don't twist arms. You just offer irresistable bait. THAT'S your gift. At least, one of them.
I would buy a book on that for sure!
... then you could be rich, like the guy who makes machinery parts.
Because who doesn't want to feel like they threw a successful party?
It really sucks when you go to all of this effort to throw a party and you know you had to twist arms to get people to attend. It feels so wonderful when you know your party was TRULY successful and enjoyed by the people you threw it for.
I haven't mastered that kind of party throwing yet.
You could include tips for how to have the food ready early ... or what foods to serve so you are free to enjoy your guests. Things like that. Decor that is simple. How to have the after clean up not be overwhelming. (paper plates?)
Cost effective? Reduced budget planning?
I am looking forward to that book!
Wow Wendy! What
a plethora of pleasing paragraphs! I'm afraid you are too nice, and I can't even imagine what on earth you are talking about--you plan way more for parties and go all out than I do! Your Harry Potter party was amazing!
Ahhh, what lovely, long, caring comments you left.... smile
I LOVE when you comment back on my comments!
And you so DO have better parties than me.
Boy, I never thought of what lady bugs looked like without their shells when they flew... Sounds like a fun lesson! =)
HI! So finally got the thing I was working on up. lol
Hey Z --thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Yes, my students were fascinated by the video (as was I--ladybug bodies in flight look pretty weird!)
Squeakers--I'm coming to visit your blog soon. And I want to know all about the model thing. I've been reading at night instead of blogging--I love to jump into bed with a good book!
PS--I saw your beach photos on my IPOD. I was glad you were wearing shorts (as you knew I would be :)
Wow! I've gone from totally indifferent on the subject of lady bugs, to totally fascinated after seeing the slo mo video of the lady bug in flight! Who knew!? Also, you did a wonderful job holding it together when things appear to be falling apart in front of the administrator! Good job!
Post a Comment